No, this is not an entry about Asian fusion cuisine. Although, I cannot wait to return to Philly and take JYC and KT to a cheap dinner at Pod. My treat. Did you hear that? It's official and on record.
The company that I work for, CRAssociates (which is a contractor for the United States Army), does not like paying overtime. If there were overtime, I would be a workhorse. I would maybe clock in 80 hours weeks. My boss, MAG, did not know that I was considered full-time and no longer a temp. This was news to me as well. So I worked an 80 hour pay period despite the 4th of July. So, lucky me I worked and the pay period is over and I get 88 hours worth of pay. This is a great day.
So back to East meets West. Apparently many Asians are offended about the tofu thing. I think my mom has a slight case of dementia at times. It was very amusing to read the comments and knowing who was Asian and who was Colombian. Let's be nice. Nah. I hate nice. Nice is boring. I live for stirring up emotions and pissing you people off.
This leads me to the issue of welfare and I know some of you may still remain my friends by the time I am done.
I was talking to JAM the other day about this issue. Now, mind you her family has benefited from welfare. And, I'm not ruling out welfare as a whole. But, come on, people. Now, here in Virginia I've come across this a lot. Ahh, welfare. There's this thing called affordable housing. I understand. It's for those who weren't born with the silver spoon in their mouths. It's for those non-Paris Hiltons. It's even for those who have not experienced a comfortable life. Then again "comfortable life" is in the eye of the beholder.
I heard this from the horse's mouth: "They just live there until they get a job...but then never do. This one girl has been there 10 years." Ten years, ladies and gentlemen. Ten years. Forgive my Croatian: What the Jebem!?
Karen Walker, on Will & Grace, once said: "You know what's sad? Poor people with big dreams." Normally I would sympathize with Ms. Karen Walker because I relate to her. However, it's not funny. What's sad is poor people who have been given this break, this opportunity of leniency, in affordable housing, welfare, and food stamps and then sit on the government's money and don't do shit. Where is this country's sense of dignity?
Our forefathers created the idea of the "Pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness." It's not: the "Pursuit of Life, Freedom from Responsibility and Happy Lethargy."
Again, don't get me wrong. Welfare is a good shot at a second chance, or even in some cases a first chance. I know about second chances. They don't come often and if you wait long enough to cash in on that second chance you're just lazy and you haven't learned jack shit. Ten years of maalooching off of our taxes.
Americans have long just rested on the fact that the government, or their parents, are going to bail them out. Not just once, once can be expected, but 9273528736 times?!
The United States of America's debt on this date is $9,495,689,951,187.66. With a population of 304,321,106 that's a debt of $31,202.86 per person. Instead of constantly bailing our people out and digging ourselves into an even bigger hole. Of course at the moment I'm not even going to get into how much the war and etc cost. Another shocking number is that every day that this continues, our debt and the debt of our children increases an average of $1.72 billion.
Where is our national obligation? Where is our pursuit of LIBERTY? I don't think this just applies to liberty from tyranny and non-democratic authorities. This means that we don't need to be spoon fed every time we're hungry. This means we can take the training wheels off of our tricycles and ride the big-boy bike.
Just a couple months ago I was in debt of over 15,000. My dad wanted me to file bankruptcy. Instead...(here's a novel idea)...I got a job.
America, you broke your leg years ago. Why are you still hobbling around on crutches?
I was talking to JAM the other day about this issue. Now, mind you her family has benefited from welfare. And, I'm not ruling out welfare as a whole. But, come on, people. Now, here in Virginia I've come across this a lot. Ahh, welfare. There's this thing called affordable housing. I understand. It's for those who weren't born with the silver spoon in their mouths. It's for those non-Paris Hiltons. It's even for those who have not experienced a comfortable life. Then again "comfortable life" is in the eye of the beholder.
I heard this from the horse's mouth: "They just live there until they get a job...but then never do. This one girl has been there 10 years." Ten years, ladies and gentlemen. Ten years. Forgive my Croatian: What the Jebem!?
Karen Walker, on Will & Grace, once said: "You know what's sad? Poor people with big dreams." Normally I would sympathize with Ms. Karen Walker because I relate to her. However, it's not funny. What's sad is poor people who have been given this break, this opportunity of leniency, in affordable housing, welfare, and food stamps and then sit on the government's money and don't do shit. Where is this country's sense of dignity?
Our forefathers created the idea of the "Pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness." It's not: the "Pursuit of Life, Freedom from Responsibility and Happy Lethargy."
Again, don't get me wrong. Welfare is a good shot at a second chance, or even in some cases a first chance. I know about second chances. They don't come often and if you wait long enough to cash in on that second chance you're just lazy and you haven't learned jack shit. Ten years of maalooching off of our taxes.
Americans have long just rested on the fact that the government, or their parents, are going to bail them out. Not just once, once can be expected, but 9273528736 times?!
The United States of America's debt on this date is $9,495,689,951,187.66. With a population of 304,321,106 that's a debt of $31,202.86 per person. Instead of constantly bailing our people out and digging ourselves into an even bigger hole. Of course at the moment I'm not even going to get into how much the war and etc cost. Another shocking number is that every day that this continues, our debt and the debt of our children increases an average of $1.72 billion.
Where is our national obligation? Where is our pursuit of LIBERTY? I don't think this just applies to liberty from tyranny and non-democratic authorities. This means that we don't need to be spoon fed every time we're hungry. This means we can take the training wheels off of our tricycles and ride the big-boy bike.
Just a couple months ago I was in debt of over 15,000. My dad wanted me to file bankruptcy. Instead...(here's a novel idea)...I got a job.
America, you broke your leg years ago. Why are you still hobbling around on crutches?

2 comments:
"uhmm..what's FAFSA?????"
lol.
fuck 88 hours of overtime. thats... like..a months worth of pay for me...or more. sad.
So this was less "I hate poor people" rant-like than I was expecting. Could it be you've decided not to piss people off just for the fun of it anymore? :-P
Okay, now seriously. I can see the logic behind your argument and all. The problem is that we don't have a welfare system in this country that actually helps most people get off it. This is partly because it gives them so little aid that all they can do is work a minimum wage job that doesn't let them earn enough to have any kind of security (yes to stay on federal assistance in our beloved nation you eventually have to be employed, it's the "welfare to work" scheme), much less save money to help them get off welfare. The problem is that the politicians didn't do anything logical like make an exemption for people who are attending school, or needing to provide full time childcare (which costs more than a person earning minimum wage can afford). And since the majority of people on welfare in this country are women (and their children) a gaping problem with the system arises. Seriously, don't even get me started on the racism and sexism that fly off the pages of our welfare policies.
It's not that I'm saying what you did wasn't great and amazing, it's just most people on public assistance have to pay for full living expenses on top of trying to save money for when they are ultimately kicked off welfare (which federal policy now requires to happen after only a few years--for everyone who receives it, no matter their differences in circumstances).
Hey, at least we can both agree it is a fraked up system.
Oh, and yeah, sorry, I don't do short comments. Clearly.
Post a Comment