If you're trying to hide the fact that you just had a cigarette, this works perfectly. Other gums still leave a trace.
Moving on to other news. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit keep me fairly lethargic and glued to the television on weekends. However, I also have food for thought for you, or [insert more clever idiom here].
Andrew Sullivan. I heard about him for the first time while passing through Philadelphia's famous Giovanni's Room years and years go. The person accompanying me only had spiteful things to say. You know who you are. ;-) So, being the sheep that I am and I hated reading and learning, etc. (I still sometimes do, but less so).
I've found my new political god. If he wasn't a non-US citizen I'd personally join his camp and force him to run for president. What I know about him:
He's a homosexual Brit, but interested in American politics. This is a given. Everyone in the world has to be in some way or another. Our politics unjustly affects practically every nation in every corner of this planet. He can't become a US citizen because of his HIV status because we're a nation of ignoramuses. It's not like so many traipse around not knowing anyway.
He's a libertarian. Yes, I've become a fan of a libertarian. He's liberal on issues regarding issues such as (surprise, surprise) same-sex marriage.
However, he's a libertarian conservative. Huh? What? Yeah. I've been searching for a label to use for myself. And, I've found someone to look up to. JYC calls me a conundrum and doesn't understand why I, a lesbian, labels herself as a conservative. I mean, I should despise everything pertaining to conservatism, right? I was watching Margaret Cho last night and another lightbulb went up in my head. What I despise about today's conservative movement are the politicians that are at its forefront. The Christianist Homophobic hatemongers that cater to the middle America, mullet sporting, trailer park, horse-shoe gamers are what's wrong with this movement. Flat taxes, limited government and no welfare. Don't hate on me. These are just my beliefs and if you know me and are reading this you probably already knew all of this.
His blog The Daily Dish has become my daily ritual. Even if you disagree, make it yours too. Why? Because so many people out there are either left or right and want to hear nothing that the other side has to say. Those fence sitters are labeled as indecisive and flip-floppers. This is a guy that tells it all and isn't afraid to say when he's wrong. Many of you should learn this lesson in humility.
Go Rafael Nadal.

1 comment:
Oh yes Libertarians. They are all over the place round here. In fact, I have a hunch that the Pacific Northwest (especially outside of the immediate Portland and Seattle areas) is Libertarian central.
I had an interesting experience with one last year during the Oregon house elections when the candidates for my district had a debate. The Republican was just insane in an "I am a crazy cat lady who disowned my gay son" kind of way; the democrat was a good guy, rational and like-able; and the Libertarian was an interesting character. I was totally with him while he was talking about legalizing drugs and prostitution, not letting the state intervene in matters of same-sex marriage, allowing people to control their own bodies (as in the case of abortion). He then started to talk about how people should be allowed to "ensure these freedoms by whatever means necessary," meaning with guns and the like. At that point he scared the hell out of me, and lost my support.
Of course he also then started to talk about his plans for economic stimulus for the state, and while I was familiar with his capitalist fervor and (in my estimation misguided) trickle down ideas, I could not get on board.
Sadly, the crazy cat lady ended up winning. She had a heart attack right before the election which I am sure helped garner sympathy votes. But the Libertarian did help split the "crazy" vote in the McMinnville area (those people like their guns and hate taxes of all kinds) so that the Democrat was very close to winning in the end.
Post a Comment