Monday, February 25, 2008

A night at the Oscars

And the Oscar goes to...Barely anyone that I chose. Seriously, where are these Academy Awards betting pools I heard so much about? I always have had a soft spot for losing money. Did anyone in Hollywood watch Atonement? Didn't think so. Who am I to expect anyone to want to watch Keira Knightly in a perfect green dress? James McAvoy's feminine mystique makes me want to switch teams. The script. Uhhhh. I'm swooning in my swivel chair.

I'm not the usual perp when it comes to tearing up during a movie. By the end of Atonement I was trying to discreetly wipe away the vast amounts of flowing tears streaming down my cheeks. Does this make me a romantic? Perhaps.

I told myself earlier today that I was not going to quote a movie in this blog unless absolutely necessary...This time it's necessary. I'm about to cry simply thinking about this movie.




Cecilia Tallis: I love you. I'll wait for you. Come back. Come back to me.


Robbie Turner:The story can resume. I will return. Find you, love you, marry you and live without shame.


Tear.


One thing that I can take away is that the Bourne Ultimatum won at least something. Those petty handouts will not keep my satiated. I also don't understand how the gorgeously and fabulously beautiful Cate Blanchett walked away with nothing. That woman has a hurricane brewing inside of her and it deserves an Oscar, damnit.

Julianne, commented on the last entry and said she is banging her head on the table because I'm being nonsupporting of the writers' strike. I'm a consumer. I like to consume. And, when all I have to consume are reruns and reality shows that have grown (dare I say it) even more tasteless...I would like to say come on, write! And, yes I would like to call myself an artist, but a true artist (like the writers call themselves) doesn't give a shit about money. In the world of punk rock, that's called selling out. I myself am proud of the fact that I pursue a career of selling out and moneys.

Price: 3 hours I'll never get back waiting for Atonement to win something.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whatever, people who write for Hollywood can't even claim non-sellout status. And that aside, even this self proclaimed non-materialist would be pretty upset if bad actors were getting rich off the stuff I made while I got nothing.

And you just wait until I start stealing your art work without paying you...see how you, a fellow sellout, like it.

I'll do it too, you can't deny that I am that crazy :-D

jean hsu said...

i was confused by your sarcasm. did atonement win anything?